dfbm #64 ~ Electric Day
Here is another non acoustic guitar program with some jumps between genres and decades. I have to confess that I was playing A Flock of Seagulls a lot lately. It's a perfect eighties flashback, especially with their videos. All the moves and styles... embaressing and cool at the same (their) time. I was around four years old when they had their big success, but stuff like that was played in the radio through the whole eighties, so it sounds kinda familiar.
The German band YOU was this late Electronic/Synth/Kraut/Fusion sound. I guess it's a thing of their time since Sequencers and Synths got affordable and they didn't need to drag a wardrobe aka synthesizer to their shows. I don't know the Hawkwind discography so much, but this seems to be similar. Nice track. Same for Richard Schneider Jr. some German with weird cosmic pop music.
William Tyler's cover version of Michael Rother's (NEU!, Harmonia) song Karussell bridges the gap between German Electronica and the Americana Guitar play by Marissa Anderson and the far out Country of Sturgill Simpson. I mean sending a whole track through a Phaser makes everything sounding psychedelic.
In between you will find contemporary stuff like the really good Psychic Lines from Brooklyn, the great diverse Space Rock/Folk by Watter and even Klaus Johann Grobe from Switzerland.
- Gap Dream ~ Shine Your Light (Alternate Mix) – (from Shine Your Light (Bonus Edition), 2013) amazon
- Slight Birching ~ Cultural Envelope – (from Cultural Envelope, 2014) web
- Lobo Marino ~ Hanuman Bhajan – (from City of Light, 2014) web
- Jaye Bartell ~ The Face Was Mine – (from Loyalty, 2013) web
- Roselit Bone ~ Dust On A Calf – (from BLACKEN & CURL, 2014) web
- Marisa Anderson ~ Canaan's Land – (from Marisa Anderson Folkadelphia Session 10/18/2013, 2014) web
- Sturgill Simpson ~ Turtles All The Way Down – (from Metamodern Sounds In Country Music, 2014) amazon
- You ~ Electric Day – (from Electric Day, 1979) amazon
- A Flock Of Seagulls ~ Space Age Love Song – (from A Flock Of Seagulls, 1982) amazon
- Motorama ~ Special Day – (from She is There, 2014) web
- Claudio Cataldi ~ Windmill – (from Sleepy River, 2011) web
- Gershon Kingsley ~ Nowhere Man – (from Music To Moog By, 1969) amazon
- Michael James Tapscott ~ Ask Me Anything – (2013) web
- Waggers Over The Station ~ Awake; A Musical Portrait – (from 2013, ) amazon
- Odawas ~ Black Iron Awakening / The Empire Never Ended – (from Reflection of a Pink Laser, 2014) web
- Richard Schneider Jr. ~ Visions – (from Dreamlike Land, 1977) amazon
- Watter ~ Bloody Monday – (from This World, 2014) amazon
- Psychic Lines ~ Ritual Mask – (from Everything Keeps Getting Brighter, 2013) web
- Trans Am ~ Night Shift – (from Volume X, 2014) amazon
- Klaus Johann Grobe ~ Regan Raus – (from Im Sinne Der Zeit, 2014) amazon
- The Fourth Way ~ The Far Side Of Your Moon – (from The Far Side of Your Moon / Pink Cloud, 1968) web
- Lasso ~ Toro's Lament – (from Golden Lasso, 2014) web
- Thee Oh Sees ~ Savage Victory – (from Drop, 2014) amazon
- William Tyler ~ Karussell – (from Lost Colony EP, 2014) amazon
- Attic Abasement ~ Pretty Teeth – (from Attic Abasement / Nod Split, 2014) web