Every Place Is Home
Hello to a new year! I hope you all had a grand ending of 2015 and a nice start into 2016. Nobody can predict the future so we have to rely on our dreams and hopes and most important to our ability to do things, to move into the right direction.
Enough kitchen philosophy, more music for kitchens.
For this mix I went through my archive and picked some of my favorite songs that I probably already used for mixtapes before. I wanted to pair those lesser known old gems with the unkown new ones that I found along the way.
As example, there is a song from my favorite Zarachy Cale record "Walking Papers" from 2008. I think I downloaded this record from some private music blog first and I was hooked. Zach is one of the most hard working musicians I know (all musicians who make a living from their music are hard working). I am glad that last year a good label put some faith in him and released his 5th album.
Justin Vollmar is another all-time fave who disappeared from the internet is supposed to release a new record in 2016. I am really looking forward to that.
Bob Brown is some forgotten loner-folk/singer/songwriter who recently played his first concert after 30 years, with Ryley Walker's band as backing. This was at the Tompkins Square Anniversary concert and yes, there is a connection - TS will reissue Bob Brown's first LP.
Damon McMahon released a solo album after his Indie pop band Inouk broke up and before he released more weird psych folk as Amen Dunes. It's a nice album.
Low - Fye was one of the first Dying For Bad Music releases. Unfortunately it went completely unnoticed because either Low - Fye nor DFBM had any reputation at this time.
- Vollmar ~ The Old Man Is Coming Home – (from Every Place is Home, 2002) amazon
- Promised Land Sound ~ She Takes Me There – (from For Use and Delight, 2015, 2015) web
- Craig Extine ~ Holy Fountain – (from Craig Extine and the Exiles EP, 2015) web
- Mikah Sykes ~ For A Love My Grace – (from Love Consequences and Serenity, 2012) web
- Knots ~ The End By Foot – (from White River of White Lies, 2012) web
- Dusty Stray ~ Alibi – (from A Tree Fell, 2014) web
- Kyle Fosburgh ~ Fruit of the Vine – (from One Night, 2015) web
- Ralph McTell ~ Genesis I Verse 20 – (from You Well-Meaning Brought Me Here, 1971) amazon
- Nadia Reid ~ Runway – (from Listen to Formation, Look for the Signs, 2015) web
- Sam Moss ~ Vertebrae – (from Pitkin County Morning EP, 2015) web
- Low - Fye ~ Underneath The Flood – (from You Keep Them, 2010) web
- Moongazing Hare ~ Punk Is Dead – (from Unpublished, 2015, 2015) web
- Sandra Sarra ~ Daisy Walks – (from Daisy Walks, 2010) amazon
- Dan Flynn and The State of Things ~ Blanket in the snow – (from Preparing for Flight, 2015) web
- Andrew Bowsher ~ Louis Collins – (from 12 New Tunes (for Strings & Things), 2015) web
- Greg Mullen and The Cosmic American Band ~ Indiana – (from There Are AMERICAS Beyond This America, 2013) web
- Lucas Paine ~ Hunting For Anne – (from Black Ram, 2015) web
- Knots ~ Woodsmoke – (from The Blistering Sun, The Pale Moon, Hahahaha, 2009) web
- Damon McMahon ~ Somewhere in France – (from Mansions, 2006) amazon
- Simon Joyner & The Fallen Men ~ Flower On Her Birthday – (from The Motorcycle Accident, 1999) amazon
- Donovan Quinn ~ Laughing City – (from Honky Tonk Medusa, 2012) web
- Kurt Vile ~ Way Back Then (John Prine) – (from Parallelogram, 2015) web
- Vollmar ~ Island in the River – (from Island in the River, 2010) web
- Peter Bonneman ~ Nabo – (from Split, 2009) web
- Ruth Garbus ~ Falling Down To Earth – (from Rendezvous With Rama, 2010) web
- Zachary Cale ~ Tell Tale – (from Walking Papers, 2008) web
- Bob Brown ~ It Takes the World To Make a Feather Fall – (from 2015-10-09 Tompkins Square 10th Anniversary, Rough Trade, Brooklyn, NY, 2015) web
- David Kilgour ~ Blueprint – (from Here Come The Cars, 1991) amazon
- Fountainsun ~ Witness the Wonder – (from Music Today, 2015) web
- Fionn Regan ~ Hunters Map – (from The End Of History, 2006) amazon
- Wes Tirey ~ Final Resting Place – (from I Stood Among Trees, 2013) web
- Myriam Gendron ~ The Red Dress – (from Not So Deep As A Well, 2014) web